- The idea of the death penalty as a deterrent is bullshit. I seriously doubt London and Birmingham have less of a murder problem than certain US cities where capital punishment is deployed.
- If the state can kill you, that's a very high level of control...
- Killing someone because killing is wrong? Er...
- The death penalty is still used by too many countries, including the US and China - still used = worth being against it in my fairly considered opinion.
- You think it's irrelevant here? When I was young bringing back hanging was voted on reglarly in the House of Commons. The reason it hasn't been raised there for a while is down to an EU ban. I don't trust Eurosceptics not to gain sufficient power to resist it.
- And let's not ignore that 'bring back hanging' is can be heard Every. Damn. Time. there is a high-profile murder.
- Regardless of whether you agree with the death penalty in cases where guilt can be proven, the fact remains that it has been wrongly deployed in too many cases. Scratch that - one such case would be too many!
Albert Pierrepoint, the last executioner in Great Britain, turned against the death penalty later in life: